Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
The department of OMFS deals with diagnosis and treatment of disease and deformities of the face, jaw, mouth, teeth and neck. Pathologic, functional, and cosmetic procedure are available for patients. The department works closely with allied specialties of both dentistry and medicine. The department aims to develop an academic as well as practical outlook in student when it comes to treating patients.
It aims to develop basic skills like comprehensive diagnosis, prescribing various relevant laboratory tests and communicating skills regarding informing patients about treatment options. It aspires to provide students experience in routine oral surgical procedures and instill a confidence in them to perform the same in future. The OMFS practice at IDST includes full range of diagnostics, inpatient and outpatient services. The department of OMFS prides itself with state of the art equipment for routine procedure as well as functional operating theatre capable of handling all sorts of oral, maxillofacial, head and neck procedures. The department takes keen interest in teaching as well as executing procedures like cancer, clefts, and orthognathic surgeries. Being situated on a national highway the college gets its fair share of maxillofacial trauma and the department deals with it on daily basis. The department of Oral and maxillofacial surgery has recently operated on streak of head and neck carcinomas and maxillofacial anomalies like facial disfigurement due to ankylosis either because of trauma or neonatal incidence. The newely developed Implant training center has been designed with the vision to keep the students and trainees abreast with lates innovations in implant dentistry. The faculty has been invited to speak in CDE about basic topics pertaining to specialties. The operation theatre is particularly well equipped to handle oncology cases and subsequent reconstruction. The department aspires to have an independent cancer operating unit which would deal with treatment as well as research for development of the oncology field.
+ Read More - Read Less
Professor & Head of the Department
Professor Dr. GAURAV MITTAL graduated from college of dental surgery, Mangalore in 2000 and went on to complete his residency training in OMFS from CODS, Manipal in 2002. He has more than 19 years of experience in the field of OMFS. During this distinguish career as a maxillofacial surgeon he has occupied different faculty posts at dental schools and hospitals. Also, he was the first maxillofacial surgeon to be appointed by the government of Uttrakhand. He has the credit of starting facial trauma centre in the difficult hilly terrain of Garhwalregion where almost more than 1500 patients of facial trauma were successfully treated during his tenure.
Dr. Gaurav Mittal has also worked for MOH, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and NHS, UK. At present, he is the Director, PG Studies and heading the department of OMFS in Institute of Dental Studies & Technologies, UP. He has many national and international publications to his name. he is also advisory to academic committees in various state and central universities.
Department Email: email@example.com
+ Read More - Read Less
- Spacious hall designed for simultaneous work on at least 25 patients at a given point of time
- Exhaustive discussions taken by both PGs and staff to ensure the retention of concepts and techniques required for clinical acumen by the students
- The department takes 2 PG per year for training and every PG has a personal chamber dedicated to them for the duration of the program.
- Each chamber has an independent operating system and is equipped with all instruments required for minor/major case surgery.
Implant training center
- The department has an air conditioned implant training center with 8 fully functional chairs
- Each chair is connected with a computer system with wi-fi connectivity for demonstration of the surgical procedures as well as for aid in pre procedural planning.
- Peizo surgery unit and other state of the art equipments which is required for para implant procedures like grafting or harvesting.
Dr. Gaurav Mittal
Professor & Head
Dr. Ritesh Garg
Dr. Abhishek Rathi
Dr. Santosh Kumar Kumhar
Dr. Anshul Jain
Dr. Gaurav Kataria
Dr. Gaurav Mittal
- Dr. Gaurav Mittal - Invited guest speaker at Workshop on minor oral surgery and maxillofacial trauma by AOMSI Delhi – NCR state chapter held at Shri Bankey Bihari dental college, Ghaziabad in February 2015.
- Dr. Gaurav Mittal - Invited as faculty speaker for AO in SGT Institute of Dental Sciences, Gurgaon in 2019.
- Comparative analysis of locking plating system versus standard plating system in mandibular fractures – A randomized prospective study
- Comparative study on efficacy of immediate and delayed implant placement of cylindrical and tapered dental implants- A clinical prospective study
- A comparative evaluation of 2.0 mm titanium miniplates and 3D titanium locking plates in mandibular osteosynthesis - A randomized clinical prospective study
- Rathi VC, Rathi A, Agarwal A, Mittal G. Subcutaneous cysts – A Case series. UnivJ DentSci 2016;2(2):92-96.
- Mittal G, Garg R, Rathi A, Deb SP. The Art of Genioplasty: An Insight. Int J Oral Health Med Res 2017;4(3):86-94
- Mittal G, Agarwal A, Garg R, Rathi A. Treatment of mandibular dislocation by autologous blood versus prolotherapy. Dental Essence 2017;2(2):1-3