Public Health Dentistry
The Department of Public health dentistry works to improve the health of the people in the nearby areas by preventing illness, promoting good health and protecting oral health. It aims to provide leadership and excellence in the field of oral health promotion and dental public health. The department undertakes a plethora of outreach activities to benefit the population through screening and treatment camps, oral health awareness camps, street plays, health melas and distribution of oral hygiene kits. The Department ensures strengthening of interaction with the community and support of community oriented programs.
Professor & Head of the Department
Dr. Shilpi Singh, Professor, Department of Public Health Dentistry, Institute of Dental Studies and Technologies completed her post-graduation from Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore in the year 2012. She has 39 International and National publications to her credit and is author of the book titled “Topical fluorides and oral health”. She is a reviewer for several national and international journals including Journal of Indian Association of Public Health Dentistry, Scientific Reports, Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice. She is life member of Indian Association of Public Health Dentistry and is actively involved in various community outreach programmes in nearby schools and villages. She was closely associated with the National Oral Health Survey and Fluoride Mapping of Bangalore District. She hold several presentations, awards and distinctions to her credit. Many community outreach programmes, teacher training programs, workshops and research projects have been conducted by her.
Department Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Shilpi Singh
- UG program involves weekly lectures, seminars, recording various indices and preparation of oral health education material such as posters and models on different topics to educate patients more effectively.
- Field programme involves school oral health examination, screening camps in rural areas to assess the oral health status of communities, emergency treatment & health education.
- Educate patient concerning the etiology and prevention of oral disease including diet counselling, proper plaque control measures and encourage them to take responsibility of their oral health.
- Various dental treatment procedures in dental camps, administering topical fluoride therapy and pit and fissure sealants are done by final year BDS students, thus improving their clinical skills.
Public Health Dentistry is the science and art of preventing and controlling dental diseases and promoting dental health through organized community efforts. It is that form of dental practice that serves the country as a whole rather than an individual. Department of Public Health Dentistry is responsible for promoting oral health among communities through oral health education programmes and outreach programmes in various Villages, Schools, Institutes and Industries.
- Currently, satellite dental clinic at Village Gejha is functional under this department:
- Also, two villages are adopted under this department for providing oral health care to the rural population of the villages.
- Regular school oral health programmes are being conducted in the two schools adopted by the institute.
- The department successfully organizes WorldNo Tobacco Day celebrations in the dental college and hospital on 31st May every year wherein general public is educated on the harmful effects of tobacco and suggesting ways to stop tobacco intake.
- Oral Hygiene Day is celebrated on 1st August every year.
- National Nutrition Week was successfully organized by the department from 1st to 7th September 2016. The outpatients in the dental college were informed regarding the harmful effects of sugar on oral health and the importance of balanced diet and nutrition for their oral and general health.
- Oral health month is celebrated in the month of October every year
- Regular oral health outreach programmes are being conducted by the department in the rural areas.
Dr. SHILPI SINGH
- AUTHOR of book titled “Topical fluorides and oral health” by Lambert Publishing Ltd.
- Secured 1st rank in college and 3rd rank in the university in BDS final year examination.
- Secured distinctions in seven subjects during B.D.S.
- Attended more than 90 conferences/ workshops/ CDE programme at state, national & international level.
- Colgate –IDA speaker for Student Training Programme.
- Co-ordinator for “World No Tobacco Day-2019, 2018 and 2017 celebrations on 31st May wherein general public was educated on the harmful effects of tobacco, its impact on the social life and suggesting ways to reduce tobacco use.
- Co-ordinator for oral health education programme from 1st to 31st October 2016 on the occasion of Oral health month.
- Co-ordinator for national Nutrition week from 1st to 7th September 2016.
- Co-ordinator for “World No Tobacco Day-2016 celebrations on 31st May 2016 wherein general public was educated on the harmful effects of tobacco and suggesting ways to stop tobacco intake.
- Co-ordinator for “World No Tobacco Day-2014 celebrations on 31st May 2014 wherein general public was educated on the harmful effects of tobacco, its impact on the social life and suggesting ways to reduce tobacco use.
- Co-ordinator for Oral Hygiene Day celebration on 1st August 2013. A dental screening camp was organised for school children and health talk was presented guiding the school children regarding benefits of maintaining good oral hygiene.
- Co-ordinated and organised a procession and nukkadnatak on the occasion of “World No Tobacco Day-2013” on 31st May 2013.
- Contributed as Scientific Committee member in 23rd IAPHD Conference- 2018 at DJ College of Dental Sciences and Research, Modinagar.
- Appointed as external examiner to various universities for undergraduate examinations
- Yadav NR, Jain M, Sharma A, Jain V, Singh S, Singh A et al. periodontal health of the geriatric population in old age homes of Delhi, India. J Indian SocPeriodontol2021;25:427-31.
- Singh S, Vijayakumar N. Height and dental caries among 13-year-old adolescents in India: A sociobehavioral life course approach. Dent Res J 2020;17:373-9.
- Jain V, Agarwal N, Jabin Z, Singh S, Anand A, Jain M. Cross-cultural adaptation and psychometric properties of the Hindi version of Child Perception Questionnaire (CPQ11-14) in school children. Int J Paediatr Dent. 2020;00:1–9.
- Jain M, Jain V, Yadav NR, Jain S, Singh S, Raghav P. Dental students' tooth shade selection ability in relation to years of dental education. J Family Med Prim Care 2019;8:4010-4.
- Jain M, Yadav NR, Sharma A, Singh S, Jain V, Khanna B, et al. Fostering cognizance of organ donation: An education-based approach. J Family Med Prim Care 2019;8:4021-6.
- Sharma A, Jain M, Singh S, Yadav NR, Chahar P, Monga A, et al. Testing of a dental student-administered multidisciplinary health promotion program. J Family Med Prim Care 2019;8:3230-5.
- Priyanka GG, Kote S, Sravanthi KV, Singh S, Jain M, Chethan M, et al. Life course approach in the assessment of association between dental caries and health capital with family-related characteristics among 12-year-old school children. J Family Med Prim Care 2019;8:2506-10.
- Sharma A, Jain M, Jain V, Singh S, Yadav N, Chahar P. Health Coaching in Primary Care. Acta Scientific Dental Science 2.9 (2018): 46-54.
- Singh A, Dhawan P, Gaurav V, Rastogi P, Singh S. Assessment of oral health related quality of life in 9-15 year old children with visual impairment in Uttarakhand, India. Dent Res J 2017; 14(1): 43-9.
- Jain M, Sharma A, Singh S, Jain V, Miglani S. The stress of clinical dental training: A cross-sectional survey among dental students and dentists of a dental college in India. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent 2016;14:434-9.
- Dhawan P, Gaurav V, Singh A, Singh S. Talons Cusps: The Achilles’Heel of the Incisors. Indian Journal of Contemporary Dentistry 2016; 4(1):23-25.
- Gaurav V, Dhawan P, Sehgal M, Singh S, Singh A. The Curious Case of the Insólito Primary Molar. Indian Journal of Contemporary Dentistry 2016; 4(1): 64-66.
- Jain M, Sharma A, Jain V, Virjee K, Singh S. Knowledge and attitudes about leprosy among indian dental students in Faridabad. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2016;10(3): 48-52.
- Singh S, Vijayakumar N, Priyadarshini HR, Jain M. Tobacco use among high school children in Bangalore, India: A study of knowledge, attitude and practice. Indian J Cancer 2015;52:690-3.
- Singh S, Shah V, Dagrus K, Manjunatha B, Pratik B, Shah S. Oral Health Inequality And Barriers To Oral Health Care In India. European Journal of Dental Therapy and Research 2015; 4(1): 242-245.
- Singh S, Dagrus K, Kariya P, Bargale S, Shah S. Knowledge And Attitude Regarding Ill Effects Of Smoking Among College Students. European Journal of Dental Therapy and Research 2015; 4(1): 259-265.
- Singh S, Dagrus K, KariyaPB,Darmina J, Hase P. Oral Periodontal Health Knowledge and Awareness among Pregnant Females in Bangalore, India. Int J Dent Med Res 2015;1(6):7-10.
- Singh S, Dagrus K, Shah SN, Malgaonkar NI, Kariya P, Hase P. Association between tobacco smoking and periodontal status among bank employees of Meerut city. J Dent Res Rev 2015;2: 67-9.
- Pandita V, Patthi B, Singla A, Singh S, Malhi R, Vashishtha V. Professional satisfaction among dental practitioners in Ghaziabad city. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent 2015;13:48-51.
- Patthi B, Jain S, Singla A, Singh S, Kundu H, Singh K. Beliefs and barriers for organ donation and influence of educational intervention on dental students: A questionnaire study. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent 2015;13:58-62.
- Malhi R, Basavaraj P, Singla A, Singh S, Pandita V, Vashishtha V. Dental Pluripotent cells - a promise for tissue regeneration. Int J Pharm Biomed Res 2015:1-7.
- Sandi RM, Pol KG, Basavaraj P, Khuller N, Singh S. Association of Serum Cholesterol, Triglyceride, High and Low Density Lipoprotein Levels in Chronic Periodontitis Subjects with Risk for Cardiovascular Disease: A Cross Sectional Study. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2014; 8(1): 214-216.
- Jain S, Basavaraj P, Singla A, Singh S. Radiography, A Reality in Community Dental Settings- A Systematic Review. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2014;8(1): 303-308.
- Singh K, Kote S, Singla A, Basavaraj P, Singh S. Relative risk of various head and neck cancers among different blood groups- An analytical study. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2014;8(4): 25-28.
- Singla A, Hansa K, Basavaraj P, Singh S, Singh K. Physicochemical and bacterial evaluation of packaged drinking water marketed in delhi- potential public health implications. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2014; 8(3): 246-250.
- Jain S, Singla A, Basavaraj P, Singh S. Effect of duration of hemodialysis and underlying kidney disease on dental health of hemodialysis patients at multispeciality hospitals, Delhi. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2014;8(5): 65-69.
- Singh K, Singla A, Basavaraj P, Singh S, Jain S, Kundu H. Lifestyle and Oral Health - A Review. JOHS 2014; 5(2), 61-66.
- Hansa K, Basavaraj P, Singla A, Kote S, Singh S, Pandita V, Jain S, Singh K. Implications of Nanotechnology in Dentistry. JOHS 2014; 5(1): 6-11.
- Jain S, Basavaraj P, Singh S, Singla A, Kundu H, Singh K. Polio Eradication–Lessons from the Past and Future Perspective. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2014;8(7): 56-60.
- Jain S, Singla A, Basavaraj P, Kundu H, Singh K, Singh S. Assessing The Influence of Culture on Oral health-A Review. Journal OfPearldent. 2014; 5(2):1-9.
- Pandita V, Malhi R, Vashisht V, Singh K, Basavaraj P, Singla A, Singh S. Giant Cell Fibroma: a histologic case report. J Periodontal Med ClinPract2014;01:107-111.
- Pandita V, Patthi B, Singla A, Singh S, Malhi R, Vashishtha V. Dentistry meets nature-role of herbs in periodontal care: A systematic review. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent 2014; 12:148-56.
- Hansa K, Basavaraj P, SinglaA,Kote S, Singh S, Jain S, Singh K. Domestic Violence and its Effect on Oral Health Behaviour and Oral Health Status. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2014; 8(11): 9-12.
- Jain S, Patthi B, Singla A, Singh S, Singh K, Kundu H. Bibliometric analysis of two journals of community dentistry. J Indian Assoc Public Health Dent 2014;12:256-60.
- Kundu H, Basavaraj P, Kote S, Singla A, Singh S. Assessment of TMJ Disorders Using Ultrasonography as a Diagnostic Tool: A Review. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2013 Dec, Vol-7(12): 3116-3120.
- Paul Y, Khuller N, Rathore S, Basavaraj P, Singh S, Singla A. Comparative Evaluation Of Chlorhexidine And Tea Tree Oil Mouthwashes As Anti Plaque Agents – A Clinical Study. Journal of Pearldent - 2013(Oct-Dec); 4(4): 25-31.
- Singh K, Kote S, Basavaraj P, Singla A, Singh S, Hansa K. DIAGNOdent- A New Approach for Diagnosing Dental Caries. J Orofacial and Health Sci 2013; 4(3): 89-95.
- Singh S, Vijayakumar N, Priyadarshini HR. Prevalence of Early Childhood Caries among 3-5 year old preschoolers in schools of Marathahalli, Bangalore. Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2012 Nov-Dec; 9(6): 710–714.
- Singh S,Vijayakumar N, Reddy C, Priya ND. Trace elements and coliform count in commercially available drinking water. RGUHS Journal of Dental Sciences 2011;3: 18-22.