Oral Medicine and Radiology
Oral Medicine and Radiology is the specialty that focuses on the diagnosis and medical management of complex diagnostic and medical disorders affecting the mouth and jaws. The Radiology part of the subject equips the budding dentists in the field of diagnosis using conventional and advanced imaging modalities.
The Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology at the Institute of Dental Studies and Technologies fosters the development of dental graduates and postgraduates with adequate knowledge, necessary skills and reasonable attitude, which are required for carrying out all activities appropriate to general dental practice involving prevention, diagnosis & treatment of all Dental & Maxillofacial pathologies. In Oral and Dento-Maxillofacial Radiology, training in detail about the techniques and interpretation of intra-oral and extra-oral radiographs and radiographic diagnosis of the Dento-Maxillofacial Pathoses are provided.
Since its inception, the OMR unit is witnessing a steady progress in all dimensions. Presently the department has post graduate course with intake of 3 students each year. The department is having latest advanced equipment for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes and focusses on Cone Beam Computed Tomography as a part of Digital Dental Radiology Section with fully automated dental chairs, Tobacco Cessation Clinic, specialised sections including Biopsy Clinic, TENS and Therapeutic Ultrasound Clinics. The departmental library is equipped with latest editions of Oral Medicine, Radiology & Differential Diagnosis Reference books. The departmental research work has been acclaimed at various levels.
+ Read More - Read Less
Professor & Head of the Department
Professor Dr. Shalu Rai, Principal and Head is a Gold Medalist graduate and post graduate of Government Dental College Nagpur and holds 25 years of academic experience in the field of Oral Medicine and Radiology.
She is heading the department and having research experience as a postgraduate guide from last 14 years with more than 60 National and International publications to her name and author and reviewer of various National and International books and journals.
She is an examiner for BDS and MDS to various universities. She is also reviewer of various journals and has attended various national and international conferences pertaining to her field of specialization wherein she has chaired many scientific sessions. She is actively involved in the various academic activities of Indian Academy of Oral Medicine and Radiology (IAOMR) and was Executive Member of IAOMR for two terms, Vice President and Honorary General Secretary of IAOMR.
Her area of interest is maxillofacial imaging having conducted many CBCT guest lectures and Hands on Workshops.
+ Read More - Read Less
An undergraduate student in the Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology is concerned with detailed recording of case histories and should be able to identify different oro facial disorders including mucosal lesions such as vesiculobullous diseases, precancerous and cancerous lesions TMJ and Salivary gland disorders. At Undergraduate level the student should have an adequate knowledge about common laboratory investigations and interpretation of their results.Read More +
A post graduate student of the Department of Oral Medicine and Radiology is trained under best supervision through preclinical lectures, seminars, clinical case presentations, journal clubs which have been specifically designed in a manner that provides for optimal growth and excellency in performance of the student. The Post Graduates are deliberated upon oral mucosal lesions, tumors, oral manifestation of systemic diseases, radiographic...Read More +
Dr. Shalu Rai
Professor & Head
Dr. Deepankar Misra
Dr. Mukul Prabhat
Dr. Puneet Bhatnagar
Dr. Himanshi Tomar
Dr. Sahil Mustafa Kidwai
Dr. Ayush Dhawan
Dr. Shalini Sharma
Dr. Shalu Rai
- Recipient of prestigious awards in the field of OMR and dentistry
- Best Scientific Paper presentation and Conducted Pre Conference Course at 32nd National Conference IAOMR-2021, Khammam
- Conducted regular camps for Screening and treatment of Oral Cancer & Potentially malignant disorders on occasions such as World Oral Hygiene Day 2022 and National Oral Medicine and Radiology Day 2021,2022.
- Conducted a Skit and two educational competitions on WORLD NO TOBACCO DAY-2022
- Dr. Manish Singh Prayasi “Cheiloscopy and rugoscopy as screening tools in gender determination a forensic study”
- Dr. Priyanka- “Three dimensional assessment of morphology of soft palate and pharyngeal airway in unilateral cleft palate and non cleft palate patients.”
- Dr. RehbarMudasir Dar- “Analysis of mental foramen as a predict for sexual dimorphism and its utility in forensic odontology- a CBCT study.”
- Shalu Rai, DeepankarMisra, Misra A, Jain A, Verma A, Grover D, Haris A. A novel approach in diagnosing multiple dentigerous cysts using CBCT illustration indicative of Mucopolysaccharidosis VI – a case report.Journal. J Med Life, 2022 Apr;15(3):579-86.
- Shalu Rai, DeepankarMisra, Misra A, Jain A, Bisla S. Impact of oral health factors on quality of life of geriatric population-A systematic review. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol 2021 Oct 1;33(4):453-65.